Wednesday, September 15, 2010

GARDEN TIME

Dave did the dripper system... this took him one whole Saturday
Ellie and Katie looking at their tiny beets growing
Cabbage plant
Golden bell pepper
Brussels sprout plant
Tiny zucchini
tiny beets
Big tomato plant
Lindsey and Katie checkin out the garden

A little known fact about me is that I LOVE to garden!! YES I do! We always had a HUGE garden growing up with just about everything in it... especially tomatoes. Dave and I had a garden in Cedar City and then we moved to VEGAS. Fail. We tried tomatoes every summer for about 4 years and then finally gave up.
Well now that my Dad (master gardener) has moved here we are gettin serious about it!!! There are two growing seasons in Vegas-- fall and spring. We are trying our hand at the fall season. My Dad is SOOOO excited.

One of Matt's big projects before he left was building four huge planter boxes for my Dad. He has his entire back yard (which is small in Vegas, mind you) full of garden. It's awesome. Matt really worked hard on this for his Grandpa. He built the boxes and then shoveled and hauled a dump truck full of dirt into it!! It was truly a labor of love because it was about 109 degrees outside while he was doing it. Dave did the irrigation system, the girls planted and Grandpa is tending to it! :)

We have planted several from seed... beets, zucchini, green onion and tomatoes, then we planted some small tomato plants, Brussels sprout, 5 cabbages, and 2 yellow bell peppers. We'll see what happens... Our tomato plants are doing awesome. The tomato seeds are slow coming... hopefully we can harvest before it gets too cold! But it has been SO MUCH FUN! I am so happy that my girls are learning to love to garden and that they are being taught it by my Dad. They got to plant most of it and they run over everyday after school to see what has "popped up". It's so cute! My Dad says he feels a little more "spring in his step" since he planted the garden. It's amazing what watching a seed grow does to you. It's seriously something so simple, but can bring you joy.

5 comments:

Lannie said...

I'm so happy the girls are getting to do this with their grandpa...they're going to remember this forever! I love dad-dad!!!

Team Furnival said...

Thanks Leslie! What cute pictures you have on your blog! I miss you and the good ole gals on the street. They refer to me as one of the "older and more experienced" sister in the ward. I am as old as you were when you left and I keep telling myself that it was the "older" sisters who made me feel part of the ward and I need to reach out like you guys did to me. I miss you all and BTW we are SOOO happy for Matt. Ben is so happy when he sees his old scouts going on missions, it is heartbreaking when they don't. Love you!

Jill said...

Yeah! What a fun project. I have loved working in the garden with my girls all summer and am now trying to figure out what to do with all this food!!! It's a tough problem to have :)

Unknown said...

CUTE garden! that looks so fun! vegas is pretty terrible sometimes...way to beat the system :)

Cassondra said...

Wow! What an incredible garden!! How exciting for your family! I LOVE working together with Jake and the girls, so I look forward to having a yard/garden one day that we can go sweat together in!!

PS. I love the new layout of your blog!!