Barbara Bertoch 2004
Mom with Matt, Lindsey, Katie, Maddie, Collin, James and Anthony Halloween 2001
Mom, Dad, Dave, Linsdey, Matt and Katie Feb 1999
Mom and Dad 2000It is two years ago this week that my sweet mom passed away. Words cannot describe how much I miss her. There really isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about her. I always wonder what she is doing in the spirit world and think about how happy she must be there!
Since she has been gone I have had a very strong desire to "tell the world" how great she was! I truly think that I had the privelege of having the best mother in the world. My mom was the best woman I have ever known. She was simply amazing.
She never looked for praise from the world. She was the most down to earth, loving, sweet, kind and patient person ever.
She was such an awesome homemaker! Our house was the most spotless place on earth! We seriously could have eaten off the floors! She was a great cook too! We always had homemade bread and delicious meals! She loved to read, I remember her setting a goal to read all of the classics, and I think she did it! She loved cross word puzzles, loved flowers and gardening. She loved music, and played the piano well. She LOVED to clean! Her Dad said she was born with a dustcloth in her hand! :)
She was very empathetic to anyone who was struggling and always sent notes of encouragement. She had a very tender heart to those who were less fortunate. She was prayerful and had great respect for her parents and siblings.
I miss her wise counsel! I miss her words of encouragement and comfort. When I am struggling with something I long to be able to call her and ask for her advise. She always knew the best way to help me.
She sacrificed so much of herself for me and for our whole family. She was so selfless and so Christlike. I really sincerely hope that I can be like her someday. She was so subtle in her teaching, she did not force anything on me. She just showed by her quiet example the way that we should live. She was always complimentary and always had a listening ear. As a teenager, I was so fortunate to have a relationship with her in which I could always tell her anything and everything. She laughed at me when I was being silly and loved me when I was being lame!
She did not complain about the trials she was called to bear and was so patient and so faithful til the end. In her final days, even when she was not totally coherent she would say over and over "Father, I thank thee". I was amazed that she could feel thankful even when she was suffering.
A few days before she died when she was in the hospital my brother said to her, "Mom, what are you thinking?" and she said, "I think I am so lucky!"
That is the kind of person she was. Truly humble.
It was so wonderful to watch she and my Dad in the last 5-6 years before she died. My Dad was such a sweet and loving caretaker for her and their relationship blossomed like it never had. The tenderness between them was profoundly touching.
I am so very grateful to call her mother. I cannot wait for the day when I will be reunited with her! I am SO grateful to know that I will see her again. It gives me a stronger desire to be good!
Thank you for your life and your love,
I LOVE YOU Mom!!!
13 comments:
wow...now that I have stopped the tears I can try and type. I could always tell that you loved her and admired her but it was amazing to read your thoughts and feelings towards her. She is so special - I always felt like she knew and cared about my family and she really had no reason to except for the fact that caring came so natural to her. Thanks for sharing this with us and I love to here about her so never hesitate to talk about her around me. What an amazing woman - something to aspire to.
Thanks for sharing, Leslie. No wonder you're such an amazing person yourself....you had the best teacher!
That was a beautiful tribute Leslie....really it was very touching. I know it must be hard and I didn't realize that this week would mark the anniversary. Your friend Jill is right...you are so awesome because of your mom's example. I had never seen a picture of her so it's nice to put a face to all of the loving things you share about your mom. She's lovely...I can only hope my children will love and look up to me the way you do your mother. I know she loved you very much too!!!
Thanks Les. I needed to remember that about mother. I love you.
That was really nice to read. It make me think about my own mother and how much I think the world of her. You're very good with words. Thank you for sharing that.
Wow! Your mom aounds like she was a wonderful person, very special indeed! I'm sure she is looking down on you and is very proud of her daughter. What a sweet tribute to your mother!!
That really is a beautiful tribute. You describe such wonderful attributes of hers, it helps me to know and understand you better. The best tribute to her is that you love her sincerely...that says it all!
Leslie, Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts about your mom!! I, too, am wiping away the tears. How blessed we are to have mothers. A few of us even get two! You are an amazing woman and mother (and sister in law) yourself. I love you! Dorothy
Les--I loved reading this! And, as I read it--it just reminded me of you! You are that same kind of gal! AMAZING! Thanks for reminding us how blessed we are to have such great examples in our lives!
Les, what a beautiful tribute. I totally enjoy hearing how much you love and miss your mom. She was everything we aspire to be as moms.
p.s. "Back in Black" wasn't working for me as I read this. Had to turn it down:) I love ya Les!
Oh, Leslie--just signing on late at night and a long time since you posted this beautiful tribute to you darling Mom, Barbara.I say amen to every neat thing you mentioned. She truly was such an example to me and our whole family. She was such a great lady and, in her soft-spoken way set an example for us all to follow. IT is true: she raised a daughter just like her--you Leslie! WE are so blessed by your sterling example. You've raised us all a little higher with your tribute. I love Barbara and will always bless her name. Love Carol Gibson. PS--didn't have time to post more tonight except better get out the big ball bat to keep all those beautiful prom girls at bay for Matt. Wow! What a looker! Love Grammie
PS--Happy 19th Anniversary Guys! It couldn't happen to two nicer people--and yhou are right-you don't look a day older than on that great Wedding day. Love grammie
Post a Comment